David Downton



 

David Downton








I like how very little in this illustration is definite, so the viewer is only able to imagine what the head piece looks like from a few expressive marks. I love the periodic effect of this illustration and the way the watercolours properties has been used to create texture on the bust for example. I think the old effect is due to the posture of the model, the colour palette and the style of the clothes, like the neck piece and head piece.










I really like the way the red of the card has been used with white chalk pastel to create a skin tone and add depth and highlight to the model. I also love the expressive brush strokes of the hair and the way this conveys movement and detail. I do find the dress itself quite plain, especially compared to the realistic nature of the model, but I think the way line has been used creates movement. I like the position of the model as it’s different and almost contrasts the elegance of her aesthetic.












I really liked the realistic look of the painting and the cinematic effect of adding black into the dress. I think texture and movement is shown through the use of mark making and I love the simple, yet clear tone and depth on the models back. I also like the pose as it is strong yet feminine.





 I liked the bold use of colour and the way complementary colours have been used. I also like the large areas of block colour, but I find the illustration quite flat and cartoon-like. Movement and little detail are still conveyed however, but the illustration focuses more on the model than the clothing.






I think the monochromatic style of this illustration is really interesting as it creates a lot of harsh light which has removed detail from the clothing. I think more of the clothing should be seen, however the detail in the face and the movement of the hair is really clear and effective. I also like the drips in the background which add to the harsh, strong atmosphere of the illustration.